Translate

2011年7月19日火曜日

Congratulations, Nadeshiko Japan Thank you, Abby Wambach


Nadeshiko




I hadn’t thought that Japan could defeat the USA until the penalty kicks started, because Japan had not beaten the USA in 25 meetings, losing 22 of those games. Twice I thought that Japan had been beaten because the USA took the lead, but twice the Nadeshiko brought the game back to an even score. I finally realized that Japan could win when I saw Norio Sasaki, the manager of the Japanese team, smiling before the penalty shootout began. At that moment, I understood that they played the game not for others, but for themselves.

I am pleased with the victory. I learned that it is important not to give up. To pull out all the stops is absolutely imperative to achieve one’s goal. Japan has had many difficulties: the earthquake, the tsunami and the accident at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant. I think that after seeing Japan’s win at the World Cup, the Japanese people know that we can still do our best in spite of our difficulties.

It was refreshing to see Abby Wambach approach the Japanese players to shake hands and celebrate Japan’s crowning victory after the penalty shootout.  I have rarely seen such conduct in men’s football and baseball games. The World Cup is not a war between countries. Players play games not for their countries but for themselves, their team and their supporters. I think “No Side” which you call an end of a rugby game is an amazing word.

I love members of both teams. I love Abby Wambach.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿